Selection of previous work:
The Wearable Body
- CONCEPT & DESIGN - The nude body as a costume design; The Wearable Body. Bodies are cloned and transformed into separate, wearable products to be worn by other people. The work raised from a research towards nudity in art and modern Western societies and resulted in what van Geffen calls ‘artificial’ vulnerability. The items are created directly on the models bodies. Tattoos and piercings of the cloned bodies are recreated in the fashion products. Photography by Robert van der Ree and van Geffen.
Lohengrin - Royal Concert Building Orchestra
- COSTUME & MASK - Lohengrin, Royal Concert building Amsterdam '15. Mask and Costume Design. 3D printed masks symbolising the expanded powers of Soprano Ortrud. Special thanks to: 3D Head Scan by Sample and Hold London, UK and Estrin-3D, Laren, the Netherlands.
We Cannot Sleep - Luke Deane
- SET & COSTUME - Virtual Reality Opera, Grachtenfestival '17, Westergasfabriek Amsterdam. A woman struggles with depression after losing her child. The audience steps into a virtual world with her. Designed by Brenda van Geffen, composed and directed by Luke Deane.
In the solitude of the cotton fields - Julie Peters
- COSTUME & PROPS - Two strangers cross each other at night time. Frascati Theater, Amsterdam '16. Costume by Brenda van Geffen, Set by Varya Klosse, Directed by Julie Peters.
Akasha - Rosa Ensemble
- COSTUME & PROPS - Akasha; a brief theatre of everything, Rotterdam Opera Days '16. An eclectic mix of costumes representing different times and cultures. Lives cross each other due to interesting energy field throughout the world. Costume design by Brenda van Geffen, assistance by Amber de Saeger, Set by Jan Boiten, Directed by Daniel Cross.
Light/ Space Modulator
- COLLABORATION DESIGN - A research towards light as an object, inspired by lighting artists Olafur Eliasson and James Turrell. Lights on opposite sides of the room project shapes on two 2x2m rotating pieces of transparent screen, creating changing perspectives floating in space. Light/Space modulator is a collaboration between architects Ivo Clason, Richard Proudley and scenographer Brenda van Geffen.